Get to know Atwood Journal‘s writers in our particular column the place they develop into the interviewees, sharing their private playlists and speaking about their experiences overlaying music!
Stuffed with a ardour to put in writing and a deep appreciation for music, LA-based journalist, Lauren Turner, has all the time recognized what she needed to do. Now, she’s dwelling out and conducting the goals her youthful self has all the time hoped and strived for.
Stream: Atwood Author’s Playlist: Lauren Turner
Meet Our Writers: Lauren Turner!
The place are you from and the place are you based mostly?
Lauren Turner: I used to be born, raised and at present reside in sunny Los Angeles, California.
How did you get into music writing?
Lauren Turner: I’ve all the time been keen about two issues, music and writing. Each are my completely happy place, my remedy, my escape and general processing instruments to life. When going to school, I knew I had to determine a option to observe these passions and make a profession out of the issues that introduced pleasure into my life. I studied English and Journalism on the College of Nevada, Reno. Upon commencement, journalism caught out to me probably the most. I cherished it. I cherished studying about individuals and the tales that make up our world. So, I continued my schooling in journalism and acquired my grasp’s diploma from Northwestern College. I pursued a observe in journal writing, wanting to stay to my inventive aspect but nonetheless be a truthful reporter. I discovered myself consistently eager to sort out music tales. How did a band or artist come to be? What had been they like off the stage? What are the meanings behind our favourite lyrics? They had been all tales I needed to determine and inform the world about.
Music is such a significant a part of life. It’s discovered when dancing within the kitchen at 2 AM along with your finest associates, in memorable street journeys with family members and even within the grocery retailer shopping for some bananas. It’s utilized in pivotal moments all through life, a primary dance at a marriage, at commencement and even to ring within the new 12 months. It may well even be so simple as the phrase, “This tune jogs my memory of you.” It’s intertwined in each facet of our lives, connecting us, giving us reminiscences, reminding us of the individuals who imply absolutely the most to us and making us not really feel alone. After we don’t have the phrases to say what we imply, there’s a tune on the market able to be discovered and performed over and over. And how will you not wish to know extra about such a deep a part of life? I completely did.
So, lengthy story quick, right here I’m 🙂 Atwood Journal is the primary music outlet I’ve written for and I’ve cherished each minute of it.
Who was your very first live performance, and who have you ever seen most lately?
Lauren Turner: Haha! My first ever live performance was the “Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus: Better of Each Worlds Live performance,” once I was eight. And let me let you know, it was pure gold. There was a large group of my associates and our mothers that went. I imagine it was the primary live performance for all of us women. Our mothers had been troopers. The Jonas Brothers had been on the tour as properly, actually giving eight-year-old Lauren the most effective of each worlds.
Not too long ago, I’ve been spending all of my cash on reside exhibits. I can’t management myself. A few of my current favorites embody Vance Pleasure and the Pink Scorching Chili Peppers with The Strokes. I’ve been eager to see Vance Pleasure for some time and he was nice! My all time favourite band is the Pink Scorching Chili Peppers, and having The Strokes open for them was completely wonderful. It was a bucket checklist present that didn’t disappoint in any respect.
Who’re two or three of your favourite up-and-coming artists proper now?
Lauren Turner: Ooooh! What a terrific query. There are such a lot of! RAYE is phenomenal. Her debut album My twenty first Century Blues is a masterpiece that I’ve binge listened to since its launch date. Seaside Climate can also be crushing it proper now. I cherished their debut album Pineapple Dawn. I lately interviewed them for Atwood, and I can inform they’ve some thrilling issues on the horizon. Now, that is the place the time period “up-and-coming” will get blurry. My third choose must be The Backseat Lovers. Though they’ve been round a bit longer, I really feel like they’re taking off in the meanwhile. They’re a extremely good one to be keeping track of proper now. I used to be obsessive about their album When We Have been Associates in 2019, and their newest album Ready to Spill was additionally so nice.
What’s one thing you’ve realized from working as a music journalist?
Lauren Turner: I’ve all the time recognized how fantastically and loopy proficient musicians are, however via overlaying music and speaking to artists themselves, I’ve an entire new discovered respect for them. Music journalism has simply opened my eyes into an artist’s inventive course of in a means I’ve by no means seen earlier than. It’s so inspiring.
What’re your favourite moments overlaying music? Might be from interviews, critiques, in-person occasions/exhibits, something.
Lauren Turner: So simple as this reply is, it comes straight from the guts. I simply love speaking to artists about their music. Interviewing them a few random word in a tune, why they selected the order of their observe checklist or part of their private story that impressed a complete album is so insightful and enjoyable. I actually love once I can join with an artist or band. For instance, when interviewing Dean Lewis, we talked rather a lot about how music helps heal individuals. Seeing Lewis speak about how music connects to him, and it type of being the best way I join with music too, was simply so inspiring. It was such an eye-opening, uncooked and hit you within the coronary heart sort of dialog. To be sincere, I’m simply extraordinarily honored and blessed to have the ability to meet such inventive individuals who belief me with writing their tales.
If you happen to may ask one query to any artist or band, who wouldn’t it be and what would you ask?
Lauren Turner: I might love to talk with Dave Grohl. I don’t know if there’s essentially a burning query I might ask. I actually would simply love to sit down in a pub and listen to enjoyable, behind the scene tales of Nirvana and the Foo Fighters.
What are you most wanting ahead to this 12 months, music-wise?
Lauren Turner: At present, there’s a few actions taking place for ladies throughout the music business. I do know there are feminine artists releasing songs and drawing consideration to urgent issues. I can’t wait to see the place these go and the constructive adjustments that can come from it.
Are you able to please clarify why you selected the highest 5 songs in your playlist?
- “Fade Into You” by Mazzy Star: This tune is by far my favourite tune of all time. I’ve been listening to it ever since I used to be just a little lady. In a means, it type of jogs my memory of the ocean, hauntingly stunning. As I’ve gotten older and understood the which means of it, I’ve fallen extra in love with it. I believe I’ve all the time admired its easy but deep and efficient lyrics. It’s breathtakingly attractive.
- “Iris” by Goo Goo Dolls: I’ve all the time cherished “Iris” for the best way it articulates love in such a uncooked and truthful method. “When every part looks like the flicks/ Yeah, you bleed simply to know, you’re alive,” is by far one in all my favourite strains in music. However “Iris” has loads of good strains. I actually suppose I may spotlight each and be connected to it not directly. The instrumental buildup earlier than John Rzeznik screams the refrain one final time, can also be one in all my favorites in music.
- “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door” by Bob Dylan: Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door” has all the time intrigued me. As a child, I used to truly image and attempt to envision what knocking on Heaven’s door would truly appear to be. Now, I believe the concept is simply so inventive. I assume I’ve a tender spot for the songs which might be so easy but so transferring. You possibly can actually hear the plead and struggling somebody feels when they’re at their lowest on this tune, nevertheless it’s accomplished in such a stupendous means. The thought of surrendering and knocking on Heaven’s door sends chills down my backbone each time I hearken to it.
- “November Rain” by Weapons N’ Roses: Want I say extra? In my private opinion, it’s a musical masterpiece. From Slash’s guitar solo to Axl Rose’s raspy vocals, from the detailed storytelling to the non-public which means behind it, I’m obsessive about this tune. I truly acquired to see Weapons N’ Roses at Wrigley Area in the summertime of 2021, and after they performed this tune, I could have fully misplaced it. Plus, the music video can also be iconic. I believe it has over two billion views now.
- “Within the Finish” by Linkin Park: My dad is an enormous Linkin Park man. They’re one of many bands that had been all the time blasting in our home rising up. Due to that, the primary tune I ever knew all of the lyrics to was “Within the Finish.” So, I really feel like this tune needs to be in my high 5. Fascinating alternative for a toddler to be singing, however my dad cherished each second of it. I cherished it too. I bear in mind all the time asking him to play it within the automobile with my little brother so we may scream the lyrics. To today, it’s nonetheless one in all my favorites. It should all the time maintain a particular place in my coronary heart and produce good reminiscences.
— — — —
:: Stream Lauren’s Playlist ::