The total line-up for Koerner Corridor’s 2023-24 season, the venue’s fifteenth, was launched in a press release by Dr. Peter Simon, Michael and Sonja Koerner President & CEO of The Royal Conservatory of Music, Mervon Mehta, Government Director of Performing Arts, and James Anagnoson, Dean of The Glenn Gould Faculty.
The season consists of greater than 80 live shows of their typical numerous stream of musical genres, with a strong focus of classical music.
Dr. Peter Simon commented in a statment, “As Koerner Corridor celebrates its fifteenth season and my final as President & CEO of The Royal Conservatory, it’s arduous to not really feel proud that what we got down to accomplish these a few years in the past, has come to fruition. We have now introduced each internationally acclaimed artists such because the Chicago Symphony Orchestra to this nice metropolis, in addition to those that are simply starting to find their artistry — and this upcoming season is not any exception. The Royal Conservatory is deeply grateful to our beneficiant donors, sponsors, and patrons who’ve supported our mission for growing human potential and who share our perception within the profoundly transformational energy of music.”
Mervon Mehta added, “Since opening the corridor in 2009 and over the 1,200 live shows introduced, we have now gone from the unknown ‘new child on the block’ to being acknowledged internationally as one of many most interesting halls on this planet. Artists akin to Yo-Yo Ma, African celebrity Youssou N’Dour, the enduring Buffy Sainte-Marie, tv star Eric McCormack, and rising star Canadians like Bruce Liu and Jonelle Sills, sing the praises of the corridor’s acoustics. Much more importantly, they love the heat they really feel from our viewers, one that actually listens. The mixture of an excellent artist, an ideal corridor, and a complicated viewers present the chance for magic to occur each night time.”
The season features a particular occasion, together with a concentrate on particular genres.
Mehta emphasised the range of the artists and ensembles that audiences will expertise within the upcoming season. “After three years of uncertainty, cancellations, and shutdowns, we’re proud to carry you our best season but — full of superstars from classical, jazz, pop, and world music, in addition to artists who we really feel it’s good to hear. A lot of our expensive mates can be again, however we additionally characteristic debuts from over 20 artists starting from the German pianist Igor Levit to Sona Jobarteh, the primary feminine griot kora participant from The Gambia. Two internationally acclaimed orchestras led by legendary Maestros sit comfortably alongside artists from 33 completely different nations. Two thirds of the live shows characteristic Canadians and a 3rd of them characteristic artists that remember the good range of our metropolis. We’re indebted to our subscribers and to our legion of donors who assist us at each flip. I look ahead to sharing many evenings collectively.”
Particular Occasion: Live performance to Commemorate Nationwide Day of Reality & Reconciliation (September 29)
Koerner Corridor’s second Commemorate Reality & Reconciliation occasion has been curated by Denise Bolduc and Mervon Mehta. The gathering of Indigenous artists can be hosted by spoken phrase artist Zoey Roy, together with a smudge ceremony outdoors the venue, and choral works, with a brand new fee by JUNO profitable composer Andrew Balfour. Web proceeds for this live performance can be donated to an Indigenous social service company.
Gambian trailblazer Sonah Jobarteh:
Listed here are the headliners for jazz, world, and different live performance sequence.
Quiet Please, There’s A Woman On Stage
- Rhiannon Giddens
- Mavis Staples
- Cesária Évora Orchestra (Koerner Corridor debut)
- Lizz Wright and Sanah Kadoura (Koerner Corridor debut)
- Stacey Kent Trio (Koerner Corridor debut) and Alison Younger Trio
- Django Pageant Allstars
- Steven Web page with Craig Northey and Kevin Fox, with particular visitor Tom Wilson
- Holly Cole
- The Sizzling Sardines
- Alex Cuba and Raul Midón
- Anoushka Shankar
- Omar Kamal (Koerner Corridor debut)
- Israel Fernández and Seffarine (Koerner Corridor debut)
- KUNÉ with particular company Jesse Prepare dinner (Koerner Corridor debut) and Meesha Shafi (Koerner Corridor debut)
- Sona Jobarteh (Koerner Corridor debut) and Taj Mahal
- Ladysmith Black Mambazo
- Oumou Sangaré (Koerner Corridor debut)
Robi Botos solos on A Night time In Tunisia:
Jazz Live shows
- Robi Botos and Pals
- Christian McBride’s New Jawn
- Terence Blanchard’s E-Collective with Turtle Island Quartet (Koerner Corridor debut)
- Samara Pleasure – Koerner Corridor debut
- The Jon Cowherd Trio (Koerner Corridor debut) and Larnell Lewis & Pleasure Lapps
Classical Live shows
The season consists of world, North American, Canadian, Ontario, and Toronto premieres by composers Milica Paranosic, Jessica Meyer, Gabriela Lena Frank, Adah Kaplan, Valerie Coleman, Laurie Anderson, Melissa Dunphy, Sophie-Carmen Eckhardt Gramatté, Micheline Coulombe St. Marcoux, Jessie Montgomery, Ana Sokolović, Laura De Rover, Fazıl Say, and Sebastian Currier.
Daniel Barenboim conducts the Staatskapelle Berlin in Brahms 3 & 4:
The Worldwide Orchestra Sequence brings two of the world’s main orchestras to Toronto.
Staatskapelle Berlin with Daniel Barenboim
The centuries previous Staatskapelle Berlin can be carried out by Maestro Daniel Barenboim, the orchestra’s Conductor for Life. They’ll be taking part in all 4 of Brahms’ symphonies over two days: Nos. 1 and a pair of on November 25 and Nos. 3 and 4 on November 26.
The Philadelphia Orchestra with Yannick Nézet-Séguin
Montréal Maestro Yannick Nézet-Séguin comes again to Koerner Corridor for his third go to, this time bringing the Philadelphia Orchestra. The live performance on April 17 will highlight Florence Value’s Symphony No. 4 and Rachmaninov’s Symphony No. 2.
21C Music Pageant
The 21C Music Pageant now spans the interval from January to Could, bringing innovation and leading edge expertise to brighten the winter and early spring within the metropolis.
- Turkish pianist Fazıl Say performs his personal works for solo piano, voice, and chamber ensemble. He’s joined by Turkish-Canadian mezzo-soprano Beste Kalender, Lara and Scott St. John (violins), Barry Shiffman (viola), and Winona Zelenka (cello).
- Canadian violinist Lara St. John performs solo violin items composed by 12 main composers, together with Laurie Anderson, Valerie Coleman, Gabriela Lena Frank, amongst others, as a part of a particular challenge (and recording) titled ♀she/her/hers.
- Tania Leone’s Indigena is the main focus of a thought upsetting 21C Afterhours, carried out alongside Respire by Pierre Jodlowski, Habekhi (The Crying) by Chaya Czernowin, and Ping Pong Concerto by Žibuoklė Martinaitytė.
- Harpist Bridget Kibbey joins the Calidore String Quartet and narrator Mervon Mehta for an eclectic program that features a new fee for harp and quartet by Sebastian Currier, in addition to Edgar Allen Poe’s Masque of the Purple Loss of life and André Caplet’s harp quintet model of the identical work.
- Grammy Award-winning pianist Brad Mehldau performs new jazz works reflecting the affect of French impressionism, commissioned by The Royal Conservatory, Wigmore Corridor (London), Carnegie Corridor, and Cal Performances (UC Berkeley).
- Cultural icon Laurie Anderson returns for a second challenge to comply with up on The Artwork of Falling, which she carried out at 21C in January 2020.
- The Kronos Quartet celebrates a half century of music with a program that features new works and iconic items from composers from across the globe.
Mahani Teave performs Debussy’s L’isle Joyeuse
- Mahani Teave, the one skilled classical musician from Easter Island, makes her Koerner Corridor debut performing Bach, Chopin, Handel, Liszt, Rachmaninov, and Scriabin, in addition to a few conventional items.
- Sir András Schiff in his seventh efficiency in Koerner Corridor, will preserve the viewers in suspense till he declares the repertoire for the live performance from the stage.
- Bach specialist Angela Hewitt will carry out the work of J.S., together with Barber, Mendelssohn, Shostakovich, and Schumann.
- Deutsche Grammophon recording artist Víkingur Ólafsson returns to Koerner Corridor for the second time to play Bach’s seminal The Goldberg Variations.
- Hélène Grimaud, who was the final musician to play in Koerner Corridor earlier than the pandemic shutdowns, will play Bach, Beethoven, and Schumann.
- Igor Levit makes his Koerner Corridor debut taking part in piano preparations of bigger works by Beethoven, Hindemith, and Mahler.
- Richard Goode will carry out an all-Beethoven program, together with his Diabelli Variations. Goode can even give a sequence of public grasp lessons whereas on the RCM.
Vocal Live shows
- Chanticleer is a Grammy Award-winning vocal ensemble based in San Francisco in 1978 by singer and musicologist Louis Botto. They’ll carry out a choice of their hits.
- Peter Sellars, Grant Gershon, and the Los Angeles Grasp Chorale collaborate in Heinrich Schütz’s Music to Accompany a Departure, with 24 singers who can be accompanied by Baroque organ and viol da gamba.
- Multi-award winner and Glenn Gould Faculty alumna, Macedonian-Canadian mezzo-soprano Ema Nikolovska makes her Koerner Corridor debut with works by Schubert, Schumann, and Debussy, accompanied by acclaimed pianist Charles Richard-Hamelin.
The Brentano String Quartet play Beethoven String Quartet Op. 135, 4th motion:
String and Chamber Music Live shows
- Grammy Award-winning violinist Augustin Hadelich makes his Koerner Corridor debut with pianist Orion Weiss to carry out works by Beethoven, Prokofiev, Amy Seaside, and Daniel Bernard Roumain.
- The Danish String Quartet return to Koerner Corridor to carry out Thomas Adès, Britten, Haydn, Mozart, Shostakovich, and Schubert’s Loss of life and the Maiden.
- Violinist Isabelle Faust, cellist Jean-Guihen Queyras, and pianist Alexander Melnikov carry out works for string trio by Beethoven, Elliot Carter, and Dvořák.
- Violinist Daniel Hope and his ensemble discover the myths and legends of Eire n a live performance entitled Celtic Goals.
- The extremely acclaimed Dover Quartet is joined by Norwegian pianist Leif Ove Andsnes to carry out Brahms, Ernst von Dohnányi, and Joaquín Turina.
- It’s a Koerner Corridor debut for Brentano String Quartet as they carry out Beethoven’s String Quartet No. 13, and Schubert’s Trout Quintet with pianist Jonathan Biss and the Philadelphia Orchestra’s principal double bassist Joseph Conyers.
- One of many world’s most famed artists, violinist Hilary Hahn can be accompanied by pianist Andreas Haefliger in an all-Johannes Brahms program.
- RCO Live shows with the Royal Conservatory Orchestra, with a sequence of visiting conductors together with Earl Lee, JoAnn Falletta, Joshua Weilersteian, and Toronto Symphony Orchestra and RCM Honorary Fellow, Maestro Peter Oundjian.
- The Glenn Gould Faculty Operas, staged with Peter Tiefenbach as music director, director Dana Fridkin and designer Adriana Bogaard. The annual staged opera this season can be Francis Poulenc’s masterpiece Dialogues des Carmélites, The manufacturing can be carried out by Nicolas Ellis.
- Mazzoleni Masters, that includes the ARC Ensemble, pianist Jeanie Chung, and a particular live performance devoted to the reminiscence of violinist, RCM alumnus, and co-founder of the St. Lawrence String Quartet, Geoff Nuttall (1965-2022).
- The Discovery Sequence consists of Royal Conservatory Orchestra Resident Conductor and former principal clarinetist of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, Joaquin Valdepeñas conducting Glenn Gould Faculty college students, the Glenn Gould Faculty Vocal Showcase, and college students of The Ihnatowycz Piano Program are featured in a night of works for 2 pianos and piano 4 arms in The Glenn Gould Faculty Piano Showcase, together with three free live shows.
Extra information and tickets on sale [HERE].
Get the day by day arts information straight to your inbox.